|Church of St John, Milltown|
In 1792 when the Penal Laws were still in force, but really only nominally, the Catholic people of Magherafelt had a church building placed discreetly outside the town on the road to Castledawson, the present St. John’s Church at Milltown. It was according to the Ordnance survey plain in its structure and appearance. It may very well originally have been a gift of a barn from a local Protestant landowner. There is a plaque over the front of the building indicating that it was refurbished in 1831.
It has been more recently refurbished by Monsignor O’Byrne after a fire in 2002.